Manchester Development Services
- Site and Building Inventory: The planning department maintains and updates the ManchesterProperty Locator, an easy-to-use online database of available commercial and industrial properties in Manchester. Each property is listed by square footage and type of space available, and is linked to a property fact sheet.
- The planning department provides information about Manchester, and is a referral source to other agencies including the Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce, the MetroHartford Alliance, the Connecticut Economic Resource Center and the State of Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development.
- Expedited Permitting: The Town of Manchester has one of the most efficient development review procedures in the state. Manchester has a combined planning and zoning commission which also serves as the inland wetlands agency. All necessary applications are filed at the planning department and the plan review process, meeting schedule, and administration are coordinated by department staff. We endeavor to have applications before the Commission and decided within 45-65 days.
Manchester Development Incentives
- Downtown 2020 Initiative: Downtown 2020 is a two-year intitiative intended to build upon the existing human energy and business strength of the central business district through public and private investment in projects that reflect Manchester's distinct and unique character. The focused, multifaceted initiative will increase vibrancy and economic opportunity - facilitating transformational private projects that make distinctive Downtown properties safer, accessible and economically viable; lowering special district taxes; and achieving key public improvements.
- Downtown Development Incentive Program: The Town offers targeted tax incentives, including tipping fee rebates and personal property tax agreements, for owners who invest in downtown properties and establish certain types of businesses within the SSD.
- Tax assessment agreements as authorized under the appropriate provisions of the Connecticut General Statutes in Section 12-65(b). The statutes allow the town to enter into agreements to fix the assessment on real property. Depending on the amount of the investment we can fix the assessment from 50% of the improved value to any point of value for between two and seven years.
- Personal Property Tax Forgiveness: Through the State's Manufacturer's Assistance Act, the town and the state may grant 100% forgiveness of personal property taxes on all new manufacturing and computer equipment for a period of four years.
- Negotiation of tax lien sales is authorized under the statutes. The town can sell tax liens for a negotiated price to a buyer or redeveloper of a tax delinquent industrial or commercial property.
- Employee Training Incentives: The State Department of Economic and Community Development offers various financial incentives to assist with employee recruiting and training needs. Depending upon the particular program, the state would pay for training expenses, salaries during a training period, or both.
- Industrial Guidelines Program tax agreements: In this program the town can rebate real property taxes for up to seven years to reimburse the costs of public improvements necessary to develop industrial subdivisions.
- Brownfields Redevelopment: The town can support, or act as the grantee, to secure loans or grants from regional, state, or Federal agencies to assist with site assessments, identification of remediation options, or site clean-up.
Contact Gary Anderson, Director of Planning & Economic Development for more information on incentives (860) 647-3043